Custom Search

Go Back   Martial Arts Forums - MMA Forums > Martial Arts Styles > Chinese Martial Arts

Notices

Chinese Martial Arts Discuss Chinese style Martial Arts here - Chinese Kempo, Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Pa Kua Chang, San Shou, Tai Chi, Wing Chun, Wushu

Sponsors
Top 50 Martial Arts Topsites List

Old 02-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #31
Chapel

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Boxing
Home Country:
Chapel is a name known to allChapel is a name known to allChapel is a name known to allChapel is a name known to allChapel is a name known to allChapel is a name known to allChapel is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to Chapel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannin227 View Post
What about in Capoeira?
They use 2 colored ropes to indicate rank. Their double blue seems to be the equivalent of a 1st Dan in Tae Kwon Do.
Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:39 AM   #32
sannin227

Styles: Pek Kwar, Tai Shing, Wushu
Home Country:
sannin227 is just really nicesannin227 is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to sannin227
i realize that, but technically it's ranking.

Look! I'm a bush!
Bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush
sannin227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #33
Jalek Moye

Black Belt I

Styles: Hung Gar kuen, Muay Thai, little bit of wing chun
Jalek Moye is just really niceJalek Moye is just really nice

capieora isnt chinese though, so what does that have to do with this
Jalek Moye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #34
sannin227

Styles: Pek Kwar, Tai Shing, Wushu
Home Country:
sannin227 is just really nicesannin227 is just really nice

Send a message via AIM to sannin227
True, sorry I wasn't paying attention to the thread name there, but still I do believe that Belts have good aspects and just useless aspects.

Look! I'm a bush!
Bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush bush
sannin227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #35
RAB

White Belt

Home Country:
RAB is on a distinguished road

CMA don't use belts but to hold your pants up. In fact, CMA uses Confusiusim for it's social structure.

If you teacher has decided to use belts then they are borrowing traditions from other cultures.
RAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #36
47MartialMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB View Post
CMA don't use belts but to hold your pants up. In fact, CMA uses Confusiusim for it's social structure.

If you teacher has decided to use belts then they are borrowing traditions from other cultures.

Actually using belts are NOT borrowing TRADITIONS from other CULTURES
Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #37
47MartialMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB View Post

I wonder where RAB went?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #38
JadeDragon

Blue Belt

Styles: Sil Lum Kung Fu & Submission Wrestling
Home Country:
JadeDragon will become famous soon enough

I think that a sash/belt system in Chinese martial arts is neccessary in the U.s. but not so much in China or other asian countries. It seems that most Americans want some way to measure there progression and success and a belt system is a way to do that. With out a belt system I don't think a school would be as successful. Just my humble opinion.
JadeDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #39
MaliMisho

Black Belt I

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai
Home Country:
MaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to all

I think you hit the nail on the head. The belts are kind of like getting a pat on the back, they make you feel good but they don’t do much for you.
MaliMisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #40
TKD&JKD

Black Belt II

Styles: TKD, BJJ, JKD Concepts
Home Country:
TKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of lightTKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of lightTKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of light

I know Jeet Kune Do is not a traditional chinese art. But Bruce lee's schools never used belts or uniforms. Rank could be achieved but it was in a certificate not in a belt. I take TKD and maybe because of the culture here in America getting my black belt was important to me. I think it helps having belts to measure progress and where u should be for your rank. However belts are a modern thing created by Jigoro Kano the father of modern Judo. Before that there were no color belts only white an black. If your only there to increase in rank than you are misssing all the glory of what your style has to offer.
TKD&JKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #41
MaliMisho

Black Belt I

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai
Home Country:
MaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to allMaliMisho is a name known to all

One of the problems with the belts though, is its not standardized at all. Depending on the MA and the school they can be totally different. So I can say I have a fuschia belt and that doesn't mean anything to anyone else.
MaliMisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #42
WC_Lun

Black Belt IV

Styles: Western Boxing, Tai Chi, Animal Form Kung Fu, and Wing Chun
Home Country:
WC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliMisho View Post
One of the problems with the belts though, is its not standardized at all. Depending on the MA and the school they can be totally different. So I can say I have a fuschia belt and that doesn't mean anything to anyone else.
Very true. In most Chinese systems that have belts or ranks it takes 6 months to a year to get your first rank. That is if you go to class quite often. A Chinese martial artist that has been studying for two years usually is considered a high beginner, but I've seen some TKD schools that two years of study is enough to obtain a black belt.

With the HUGE disparity between the same colored belts of different systems, I just give everyone respect unless they prove to me they shouldn't get it.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #43
Torre

Red Belt

Home Country:
Torre has a spectacular aura about

Send a message via MSN to Torre
Quote:
Originally Posted by sannin227 View Post
What about in Capoeira?
Every group has different cord colours, there are 5 rank names that are fairly common, though:

Monitor/Graduado - graduated student
Instrutor - first real teacher rank
Professor
Contra-mestre - master candidate
Mestre - master

The rank of Mestre usually can only be achieved after 20-25 years of training, so it is a really big thing. Even becoming an Instrutor takes 8-10 years in most groups, so rank progression is usually pretty slow.
Torre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #44
san5324

White Belt

Styles: holland : tanglang, bagua, xing yi.. china : baji, pigua, xing yi, taiji, qi jiguang quan
Home Country:
san5324 is on a distinguished road

lol. . ive never met anybody since the 2 years im in china, who gives a crap about a belt... u can reconize how good a person is to watch how fluent he/she moves, and/or their energy level...
san5324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links