Custom Search

Go Back   Martial Arts Forums - MMA Forums > Martial Arts Styles > General Martial Arts

Notices

General Martial Arts Discuss General Martial Arts here

Sponsors
Top 50 Martial Arts Topsites List

Old 03-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Kansas605

White Belt

Styles: Hapkido, TKD, San Soo Kung Foo, Judo, BJJ, Russian SAMBO, Kickboxing, Boxing, Catch W. Muay Thai,
Home Country:
Kansas605 is on a distinguished road

San Soo Kung Fu vs Wing Chun vs JKD vs Judo/BJJ vs kickboxing

I trained in Wing Chun, San Soo Kung Fu, Judo, BJJ, Kickboxing, TKD, JKD, Hapkido, Akido, Russian SAMBO, high school wrestling and Catch Wrestling and one of the most interesting martial arts I have practiced is San Soo Kung Fu. San Soo has many techniques with lots of takedowns, kicking, punching, wrist locks so it goes along with all the other martial arts I have practiced. There are those that say don't mix other arts into San Soo but then again other arts are already mixed into it. Some of the blocks in San Soo aren't as efficient as the Wing Chun/JKD trapping so I add those in when I practice San Soo and also I do Judo throws and wrestling takedowns straight into armbars and or leglocks when doing a San Soo workout. Since I have practiced Russian SAMBO and Catch wrestling I do lots of leglocks, neck cranks and chokes. Cathy Long who is a world champion kickboxer says she likes San Soo Kung Fu the best.

Dave Hopkins San Soo Kung Fu Demo - YouTube
This is some footage I shot in 2001 when i visited for Master Dave Hopkins Black Belt promotions. Bob Wall (Enter the Dragon) was in the front row.
Dave Hopkins San Soo Kung Fu Demo - YouTube - Cached
.Play Video

Last edited by Kansas605; 03-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Kansas605 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Jun Fan

Green Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do
Home Country:
Jun Fan is a jewel in the rough

That's quite a mixture you've got there Kansas, glad to see you're interested in learning all you can from many different styles. I have a similar approach to training, though my exposure to the martial arts has been quite noticeably different from yours. "Enter The Dragon" is still one of my favorite movies to this day. I also liked the video you posted. That's also a different kind of San Soo / San Shou than what I was exposed to. I went to a few San Shou competitions, but the practitioners in those events came from all different kung fu schools and systems. They often fought on a rectangular foam platform with headgear, shinguards and sparring gloves. They also wore sneakers. The video you're showing seems more like a demonstration, but the San Shou demonstrations I went to usually involved Tai Chi Chuan forms and different weapon forms with Chinese music. I thought those San Sao / San Shou competitions were a great way to get exposure to different kung fu styles. That's where I first started seeing representitives of Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Tong Long, Hsing I, Tai Chi and other styles of kung fu, long before I really got an exposure to any of them. I ultimately decided to stick with Jeet Kune Do, but I really loved being there whenever there was a San Shou competition.

Last edited by Jun Fan; 03-17-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Jun Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
Kansas605

White Belt

Styles: Hapkido, TKD, San Soo Kung Foo, Judo, BJJ, Russian SAMBO, Kickboxing, Boxing, Catch W. Muay Thai,
Home Country:
Kansas605 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun Fan View Post
That's quite a mixture you've got there Kansas, glad to see you're interested in learning all you can from many different styles. I have a similar approach to training, though my exposure to the martial arts has been quite noticeably different from yours. "Enter The Dragon" is still one of my favorite movies to this day. I also liked the video you posted. That's also a different kind of San Soo / San Shou than what I was exposed to. I went to a few San Shou competitions, but the practitioners in those events came from all different kung fu schools and systems. They often fought on a rectangular foam platform with headgear, shinguards and sparring gloves. They also wore sneakers. The video you're showing seems more like a demonstration, but the San Shou demonstrations I went to usually involved Tai Chi Chuan forms and different weapon forms with Chinese music. I thought those San Sao / San Shou competitions were a great way to get exposure to different kung fu styles. That's where I first started seeing representitives of Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Tong Long, Hsing I, Tai Chi and other styles of kung fu, long before I really got an exposure to any of them. I ultimately decided to stick with Jeet Kune Do, but I really loved being there whenever there was a San Shou competition.
Well there is the sport martial art and there is the art of martial arts. In many ways the sport is better than the art. San Soo is an art for example. But San Soo has hits to the groin. You wear a cup so that you can hit your partner hard enough where it would really hurt if he didn't have a cup. Plus San Soo has many really cool takedowns, armlock, wrist locks etc. etc. It can be practiced very hard or as light as you want to go. It's called self-defense techniques in Karate, TKD, Hapkido etc. etc. Also traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu is similar to San Soo in many ways including you don't have a partner that fights back so it becomes two way sparring. San Soo is street fighting. Dirty, cheating, hits to the groin, strikes to the throat, eyes etc. etc.

It's best to practice both sport martial arts and arts that aren't sport. For example Kickboxing, boxing, Judo,BJJ, Submission grappling, Russian SAMBO, Hapkido, TKD and even high school wrestling are sport martial arts because you have an opponet that actually fights back and that is good. However sport marital arts have rules and San Soo has no rules. I must say that JKD has it's advantages over San Soo because I have practice both but then again I like to mix them. JKD and San Soo can and do have grappling in them. Problem comes from when the traditionalists say you're not suppose to mix the arts which is not good. Larry Hartsell use to tell me that martial arts are always evolving and you have to evol along with them. Bruce Lee said something like absorb what is useful and throw the other stuff out.

Have you seen Frank Cucci's JKD instructionals? He does it all, trapping, plus
the takedowns into submissions. I have several of his DVDs and I really like them. Got Vunak, Burton Richardson, Lester Griffin, Danny Inosanto, Larry Hartsell among others also.

Another example is I trained at the Gracie Academy. They had the sport of BJJ that as you know is practiced with a resisting opponet and then they had self-defense techniques that were practiced with a non-resisting opponet.
I also practiced with the Machado brothers the first cousins of the Gracies who are themselves Gracie black belts. But the Machados only did the sport aspect of BJJ. They never practiced the Gracie self-defense stuff. This was one reason that the Machado students were almost always better than the Gracie students for BJJ grappling.

Last edited by Kansas605; 04-02-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Kansas605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Jun Fan

Green Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do
Home Country:
Jun Fan is a jewel in the rough

Hey, nice response, I appreciate it. To answer your question, no, I've never even heard of Frank Cucci until now that you've mentioned him. Some of those other names sound familiar though. I learned a little bit about defending yourself from the ground in JKD while laying on your back in the "full guard" or "half guard" position, against an opponent (or training partner) who is on top of you throwing punches at your head. But I really didn't get too much exposure to grappling in JKD, most of my grappling comes from MAU wrestling. MAU exposes you to traditional Japanese Jujutsu, Judo, BJJ, Kato Pale and other forms of grappling, but its all mixed together sort of like JKD in a way, only the focus is specifically on wrestling. I've since combined MAU grappling with my JKD training to try and fill in the void that was there. I'm a huge fan of the arm locks and standing takedowns, which is mainly what I practice.
Jun Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links