Sponsors
Top 50 Martial Arts Topsites List

Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Superman17

Brown Belt

Home Country:
Superman17 is on a distinguished road

Traditional vs Combat Hapkido

I was watching a video on youtube, and realized there are two different styles of Hapkido the traditional style and combat style, and I was wondering what is the difference?
Superman17 is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
TKD&JKD

Black Belt II

Styles: TKD, BJJ, JKD Concepts
Home Country:
TKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of lightTKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of lightTKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of light

Combat Hapkido is a modern variation of Hapkido. It removes a lot of excess things and tries to simplify the style to make it easier to appply and learn. I believe it is more of a reality based self-defense.

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".
-Dan Inosanto
TKD&JKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Superman17

Brown Belt

Home Country:

ok thanks... How old is Combat Hapkido?
Superman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Shinobi_Kokujin

Black Belt I

Styles: Ninjutsu, Taek'kyeon, Tae Kwon Do, Modern Army Combatives, Pekiti Tirsia Kali
Home Country:
Shinobi_Kokujin is just really niceShinobi_Kokujin is just really niceShinobi_Kokujin is just really nice

i dont see much difference between combat and traditional hapkido other than making combat hapkido more simplified so people in large groups can learn it in a fast paced amount of time.

but the same thing is done with traditional hapkido. in some aspects "combat" in hapkido comes off as a marketing gimmick IMO

"Never stop moving. If you stop moving,you give your opponents openings and you may be killed. If you stop moving, what you are doing merely becomes a technique, not Taijutsu"

Modern Army Combatives:

"Hours or Days of our training can Defeat Years of your training, Deal with It."
Shinobi_Kokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
Superman17

Brown Belt

Home Country:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi_Kokujin View Post
i dont see much difference between combat and traditional hapkido other than making combat hapkido more simplified so people in large groups can learn it in a fast paced amount of time.

but the same thing is done with traditional hapkido. in some aspects "combat" in hapkido comes off as a marketing gimmick IMO
Not to be rude, but I disagree after studying what the two different styles of Hapkido

Last edited by Superman17; 09-16-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
HwaRangDude

Yellow Belt

Styles: Wrestling, Hwa Rang Do, Judo
Home Country:
HwaRangDude will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to HwaRangDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman17 View Post
Not to be rude, but I disagree after studying the two different styles of Hapkido
So which style does scorpion use in Mortal Kombat? XD

HwaRangDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
Superman17

Brown Belt

Home Country:

That's a good question
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Shinobi_Kokujin

Black Belt I

Styles: Ninjutsu, Taek'kyeon, Tae Kwon Do, Modern Army Combatives, Pekiti Tirsia Kali
Home Country:
Shinobi_Kokujin is just really niceShinobi_Kokujin is just really niceShinobi_Kokujin is just really nice

Quote:
Not to be rude, but I disagree after studying what the two different styles of Hapkido

thats cool. the reason i think they the same is i did hapkido for a little bit, nothing really extensive just a few months worth of classes. but my current tkd GM is also a HKD GM

for the Korea HKD assosiation, the techniques and the way ive seen him teach is just about the same as GM Pellegrini's combat Hapkido system that he occasionally teaches to US troops.

thats why i dont think theres much of a difference besides perhaps dojang ettiquette but then again im also starting to consider the different lineages of the traditional side of HKD

"Never stop moving. If you stop moving,you give your opponents openings and you may be killed. If you stop moving, what you are doing merely becomes a technique, not Taijutsu"

Modern Army Combatives:

"Hours or Days of our training can Defeat Years of your training, Deal with It."
Shinobi_Kokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
john55

Black Belt I

Styles: BJJ
Home Country:
john55 is just really nicejohn55 is just really nicejohn55 is just really nice

Quote:
I was watching a video on youtube, and realized there are two different styles of Hapkido the traditional style and combat style, and I was wondering what is the difference?
as others have said, they took out the fluff to make it more of a self defense art. i took a few classes of combat hapkido 2 years ago to try it out. i soon learned most of the instructors in the art are TKD instructors who got a black belt in combat hapkido after a few seminars and from watching video tapes. i also learned they didnt spar at all because 'it was too dangerous' so i quit.
john55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #10
TKD&JKD

Black Belt II

Styles: TKD, BJJ, JKD Concepts
Home Country:
TKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of lightTKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of lightTKD&JKD is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobi_Kokujin View Post

I agree, it seems like more of a gimmick than anything else. A way for GM Pelligrini to get paid.

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".
-Dan Inosanto
TKD&JKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Superman17

Brown Belt

Home Country:

I see so be careful

Sponsored Links