Styles: Shotokan Karate
Home Country:
TreacherousThrive will become famous soon enough

Nice vid, upload more if you can.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
souldrum71

Styles: Seishin Juku, Shotokan, TKD, Judo, Kyokushin, BJJ
Home Country:
souldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to all

Very detailed explanation of technique. I don't know about the 'dance' but I can certainly understand the 'death' part of the title.
souldrum71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
ladyfighter

Member of the Month

Styles: TaeKwonDo, BJJ, Kickboxing, Karate, and JJ
Home Country:
ladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to all

Thanks for the video, kenpodog, it was very informative and useful.

'The man who views the world at 50, the same as he did at 20, has wasted 30 years of his life.'- Muhammad Ali

Checkout my Profile at MMA Zone:
http://www.mymmazone.com/ladyfighter
ladyfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Draven

Black Belt II

Home Country:
Draven is just really niceDraven is just really niceDraven is just really nice

Very nice vid... Now I know two forms called the dance of death
And yet a slave to my own soul...

http://witchhunterpublishing.webs.com/
Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
Unkotare

Banned

Home Country:
Unkotare has a spectacular aura about

The problem with these demo-type things (well, ONE problem) is that they rely on the uke to either do nothing ("Oh, thou hath defeated me!") and just lay there while the other guy brings in a Mariachi band to play while he does the Mexican hat dance around his prone body, OR they require the uke to do such minutely specific things ("No, no, when you sloooowly throw a punch you have to step here and and keep your arm there and your wrist like this and only throw an exaggerrated straight right, then next you have to...") that it becomes completely unrealistic.

Of course they're just for training purposes, but I wonder how many impressionable young folks out there see stuff like that and expect that that is exactly how it would play out in an actual fight/contest?
Unkotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Draven

Black Belt II

Home Country:

Allot of them I supose... But I also know alloy of "aldults" who would believe that as well. All in the the prinicples are sound.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
Zaraki Kenpachi

Black Belt II

Styles: To Shin Do Ninjutsu & Tae Kwon Do (WTF)
Home Country:
Zaraki Kenpachi is just really niceZaraki Kenpachi is just really niceZaraki Kenpachi is just really nice

Thanks Kenpo,

Very interesting intercept methods used.

I'll Still Kill!

Even the best of men are capable of the most disgusting evil. Just as the most evil man is capable of showing kindness.

Do not be fooled into thinking your enemy's sin is worse than yours, or that your's is better than his.
Zaraki Kenpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
sirdarksol

Black Belt I

Styles: Shorin-ryu karate, Matayoshi kobudo
Home Country:
sirdarksol is a glorious beacon of lightsirdarksol is a glorious beacon of lightsirdarksol is a glorious beacon of lightsirdarksol is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkotare View Post
The problem with these demo-type things (well, ONE problem) is that they rely on the uke to either do nothing ("Oh, thou hath defeated me!") and just lay there while the other guy brings in a Mariachi band to play while he does the Mexican hat dance around his prone body, OR they require the uke to do such minutely specific things ("No, no, when you sloooowly throw a punch you have to step here and and keep your arm there and your wrist like this and only throw an exaggerrated straight right, then next you have to...") that it becomes completely unrealistic.

Of course they're just for training purposes, but I wonder how many impressionable young folks out there see stuff like that and expect that that is exactly how it would play out in an actual fight/contest?
You start out slow and you make minute adjustments at first, but once you get better at the skills, the precision of the attacker's movements becomes less important as the response becomes automatic, leaving the defender with more of his mental resources available to make up for differences in the attack.

I agree, though, that a good number of people think that in one session of working on a particular maneuver, they have mastered it to the point that it will be useful on the street.
My karate class deals with this by holding goshin jitsu drills every night. We pick a different two maneuvers to practice. Newer students may be learning them for the first time, but older students are learning how to really use them. We also have unplanned attacks, where the attackers pick random grapple attacks and the defender has to respond to them as quickly as possible.

"If you confer only with people in your own circle (relatives and friends), their opinions will naturally favor you, rendering them useless." Tsunetomo Yamamoto

"In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Hail Lord Ilpalazzo!
sirdarksol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Zaraki Kenpachi

Black Belt II

Styles: To Shin Do Ninjutsu & Tae Kwon Do (WTF)
Home Country:
Zaraki Kenpachi is just really niceZaraki Kenpachi is just really niceZaraki Kenpachi is just really nice

Ah, I love Randori.

I'll Still Kill!

Even the best of men are capable of the most disgusting evil. Just as the most evil man is capable of showing kindness.

Do not be fooled into thinking your enemy's sin is worse than yours, or that your's is better than his.
Zaraki Kenpachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Draven

Black Belt II

Home Country:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdarksol View Post
You start out slow and you make minute adjustments at first, but once you get better at the skills, the precision of the attacker's movements becomes less important as the response becomes automatic, leaving the defender with more of his mental resources available to make up for differences in the attack.
Generally speaking, I approach the same concept by telling students in invent 2 man forms, no more then 3 to 5 techniques, in a 1 to 3 time span. We practice allot of symtaneous movements, attacks and defenses...

Old 09-26-2007, 08:10 PM   #13
47MartialMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpodog View Post
Here is an American Kenpo technique called:
Dance of Death
Mr. Ryder gives an excellent demonstration and explanation

Nice, but not "new".
Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #14
N.B

Red Belt

Styles: Capoeria
Home Country:
N.B is just really niceN.B is just really nice

Funny this, I was about to start a thread on Kenpo but I think I'll use this one instead. I met a fellow recently who has joined up at my tang soo do group. He used to do Kenpo for a number of years, while having a chat with him in the student bar afterwards he was telling me a bit about it, and some of his favourite counters:

"So he goes to punch you, you step here, block his punch, pull his arm forward, kick his knee here so it breaks, step like this so his falls over like this, do a eagle claw to his eyes so he is blinded, do a palm strike to his nose so it breaks, you're still holding his arm so twist it like this and he'll roll over like this..."

and now my favourite part...

"do a stomp kick here, then wrench the arm like this and it'll break here, wrench it over your knee here and it'll break again and do a strike here and it'll break for the third time, and if you kick this part of the arm while pulling the hand, his arm will now come off"

Me: "Come off???!!!"

Him: "Yep"

Me: "Then you get arrested"

Him: "No, you would use anything like that in the street"

What I don't get is; what is the point of learning it at all? Surely after you've poked him in the eyes the guy is going to be pretty defenseless. Also, how can you justify pulling somebodies arm off? Maybe this does all work but it sounded a bit Ashida Kim to me.
Not taking a dig at Kenpo here because I'm sure different intructors teach different things.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #15
Draven

Black Belt II

Home Country:

Well oddly enough Kenpo is connected with Koga Ryu Ninjitsu in many ways. Seiko Fujita last reconized grandmaster (Soke) of Koga Ryu Ninjutsu was also a Soke in Kenpo-jutsu & Shuriken-jutsu. He defined his Ninjutsu fighting art as simply Jujutsu.
Jame Metsoe (Sp?) in Hawaii was the first to teach kenpo-jujutsu a mix of Kenpo-jutsu & Jujutsu. He taught William Chow who was Ed Parker's Sensei & has claimed to have incorperated some of Fujita's ninjutsu system into his art. Don Dreager did an essay on it I think?

Sponsored Links