Sponsors
Top 50 Martial Arts Topsites List

Old 01-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #1
Jet Li Fan

Blue Belt

Styles: Non-Practionioner
Home Country:
Jet Li Fan has a spectacular aura about

Does anybody know what's the difference between Soo Bahk Do and Tang Soo Do?

I've been hearing a lot lately about Soo Bahk Do and was wondering how it ties in with other Korean martial arts.
Jet Li Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
complete

Administrator

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Hwa Rang Do
Home Country:
complete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to complete
Both Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do can find their origin from Grandmaster Hwang Kee.

He is the founder of the organization called Moo Duk Kwan and also is credited with founding the Tang Soo Do and Soo Bahk Do styles.

The word 'Tang' refers to the China's Tang dynasty and the style Tang Soo Do was created by Grandmaster Hwang, who later changed his style to Soo Bahk Do, which has more of Korean origin from 'Soo Bahk', the ancient Korean martial arts in early Korea.

Grandmaster Hwang Kee passed away recently and his son H.C. Hwang is now the head of US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation. Grandmaster H. C. Hwang is also recently featured on the Blackbelt Magazine, having been voted as the Man of the Year in 2005.
complete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #3
NinjaMaster

Red Belt

Home Country:
NinjaMaster will become famous soon enough

Soo Bahk Do, the style itself has been very unknown for a long time and recently, it's been getting a lot of publicity and news coverage.

Many people have asked me if Soo Bahk Do is really a Korean martial arts or not.

I've always answered by refering them to www.completemartialarts.com.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
Tang Soo Guy

White Belt

Tang Soo Guy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Tang Soo Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Jet Li Fan@Jan 11 2006, 02:25 PM
Does anybody know what's the difference between Soo Bahk Do and Tang Soo Do?

I've been hearing a lot lately about Soo Bahk Do and was wondering how it ties in with other Korean martial arts.
Hmm... I'll ask my instructor. His master studied under Hwang Kee, and I remember him mentioning SBD and MDK. I'll try and get back to you. They are both Korean though, and if I recall, both fall under the Tang Soo Do Banner.
Tang Soo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
complete

Administrator

Home Country:
complete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of lightcomplete is a glorious beacon of light

It would be good hear from someone who's had ties to Hwang Kee directly.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Tang Soo Guy

White Belt

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by complete@May 2 2006, 01:22 PM
It would be good hear from someone who's had ties to Hwang Kee directly.
Well, it would ... but my instructor is actually once removed from Master Kee. Luke tells me that Master Kee visited Master Lee's (my instructor's master) School here in Huntsville, but Luke was too shy to turn out that day. A fact that knowing my instructor astounds me.

Nonetheless, according to my instructor, Soo Bahk Do was the original art which contained within it's curriculum the Northern Chinese techniques. It was in short the art itself. Mu Duhk kwan is the style, whereas Tang Soo Do is the art. I believe he told me that there are other styles of Tang Soo Do, but the names he threw out escape me at present.

I actually found my way to this forum, definitely a more polite forum, after reading the Bullshido website, and feeling somewhat affronted. While it's informative, I like this one much better. :-)
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
complete

Administrator

Home Country:

Here is a link to a site that has a very extensive diagram of Korean Martial Arts History.

We've already had another thread regarding this and some have "disagreed" with credibility of it, but so far this is the most complete diagram that I have found and gives a pretty good insight into history.

http://www.allmartialarts.com/KIXCO/...istory/map.htm

By the way, we are glad to have you in our forum.

We had in the past a topic that was spilled over to Bullshido members and it was a string of personal attack and a lot of negative comments. (You can still see this in the Japanese Martial Arts thread where you found Rick Sanchez)
Old 05-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Tang Soo Guy

White Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by complete@May 3 2006, 01:22 PM

We had in the past a topic that was spilled over to Bullshido members and it was a string of personal attack and a lot of negative comments. (You can still see this in the Japanese Martial Arts thread where you found Rick Sanchez)
Cool! Thanks for the link! I'll look forward to reading up.

I'm sorry to hear about the personal attacks. It's a shame that some as artists cannot seem to show respect for one another and focus on the common threads. SO it goes though.

I had an instructor named Rick Sanchez some years back when I was a Jeete Kune Do student. It was near the end of my time at the school though. I wonder if this was the same gent.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #9
Tang Soo Guy

White Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by complete@May 3 2006, 01:22 PM

Oh yes, and I'm proud to be a part of the forum.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
NinjaMaster

Red Belt

Home Country:
NinjaMaster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Tango Soo Guy@May 3 2006, 11:39 AM
Oh yes, and I'm proud to be a part of the forum.
Welcome, Tango Soo Guy.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:00 AM   #11
Tang Soo Guy

White Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaMaster@May 4 2006, 01:38 AM
Welcome, Tango Soo Guy.
Thanks! I'm proud to be here. Although, the "o" at the end was a mistake. I'm supposed to be "Tang Soo Guy." sigh... the pitfalls of surfing at the office.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #12
complete

Administrator

Home Country:

Quote:
Originally posted by Tang Soo Guy@May 9 2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks! I'm proud to be here. Although, the "o" at the end was a mistake. I'm supposed to be "Tang Soo Guy." sigh... the pitfalls of surfing at the office.
I changed it for you. Enjoy.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
RiveraRa

Red Belt

Styles: Soo Bahk Do, BJJ
Home Country:
RiveraRa is a jewel in the rough

I know this is a little old now but...being a SBD practitionerI figured I would chime in...here is a brief history lesson...

The first recorded usage of the term "Tang Soo Do" in contemporary history was by Chung Do Kwan founder, Won Kuk Lee. Most of the major Kwans called their style Tang Soo Do, or Kong Soo Do.

The Chung Do Kwan, along with the rest of the Kwans ceased using the name Tang Soo Do, and Kong Soo Do when they unified under the name Taekwondo. The Moo Duk Kwan, being loyal to Hwang Kee, pulled out of the Kwan unification and remained independent of this unification movement, and continued to use the name Tang Soo Do.

GM Hwang Kee organized the Korean Soo Bahk Do Association in 1945. In 1968, Master Jae C. Shin, who studied directly under Grandmaster Hwang Kee, founded the United States Tang Soo Do Federation which later became The World Tang Soo Do Association in 1982.

In 1995, the late Hwang Kee officially changed the name of the Moo Duk Kwan style to Soo Bahk Do.

Check out wikipedia...for more detail...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tang_Soo_Do
RiveraRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #14
complete

Administrator

Home Country:

Sounds about right. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
Slashmire

Green Belt

Slashmire is on a distinguished road

Nice info on both, they all sound similar to North American ears, so it's hard to differentiate by ear only, nice to see the differences
Slashmire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links