Custom Search

Notices

Tournaments Do you have an upcoming Martial Arts Tournaments?

Sponsors
Top 50 Martial Arts Topsites List

Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Als92RSand78TA

White Belt

Styles: TaekWonDo
Home Country:
Als92RSand78TA is on a distinguished road

Open tournaments in Alabama

Hello, I'm currently training and teaching at a Taekwondo school that was a part of a large organization that organized it's own closed tournaments. Now that we're independent I'm looking for some good open tournaments for our adult and jr students. If anyone knows of any in this area I'd appreciate you passing it on to me. Also, I've seen some references to the Alabama karate Circuit so if anyone has any feedback about it that would be good too.
Als92RSand78TA is offline   Reply With Quote Share on facebook
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
WC_Lun

Black Belt IV

Styles: Western Boxing, Tai Chi, Animal Form Kung Fu, and Wing Chun
Home Country:
WC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to allWC_Lun is a name known to all

Ladyfighter and Souldrum are gonna be your best bet for that kind of info. I'm sure they'll post something soonish.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
ladyfighter

Member of the Month

Styles: TaeKwonDo, BJJ, Kickboxing, Karate, and JJ
Home Country:
ladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to allladyfighter is a name known to all

sorry man, I just seen this thread.. it's been busy this past spring break

Yes, we have competed in the AKC and continue to judge and have students compete in the AKC! It is the only tournament 'circuit' in AL and usually has 6 tournaments per year. there are other smaller tournaments (i guess with the economy ALL tournaments are gonna be kinda small this year though) but non are IN any kind of organized circuit to offer a State Championship like the AKC! There is an AKC tournament THIS weekend in Hartselle, AL March 27th! I would suggest that BEFORE you decide to take students to ANY tournament circuit that you are unfamiliar with, that YOU compete OR atleast go and check it out FIRST!! With that said, in any sport you will have bad judges and good judges, in the AKC it's usually the latter I can only speak from my experience on the 'open' tournament vs the 'closed' tournament circuits! 1. this is a 'smaller' circuit about the size of a regional tournament for you 2. the forms & weapons divisions are easier IMO.. because they can ONLY grade you on your techniques, therefore if you make a pattern mistake, they don't know/don't care 3. the point sparring is very similar, 2pts for kick and 1pt for punch, it DOES allow head punches and in the adult bb divisions face contact is a point as well! 4. Continuous/Kickboxing, it's usually 1.5 to 2min with face contact allowed. There are also 3 person 'teams' sparring competitions for kids and adults can be very fun! Also XMA/creative/musical forms competition, that is if you are into that! Plus the AKC is also 'host' to the largest grappling circuit.. you guessed it 'Alabama Grappling Circuit' lol they have both gi & no-gi competitions (although there rules in the grappling are somewhat 'shady' and 'unclear' I believe they said this would be corrected this year.) These grappling tournaments are usually held at the end of each AKC tournament. The tournament price is $45 at the door ($35 early entry) and you get up to 3 divisions of your choice (example: 1. forms 2.pt sparring 3.no-gi grappling.. or whatever you chose) any additional divisions are an extra $20. They only award 1st, 2nd & 3rd place with trophies (usually pretty nice ones). If you chose to become a member and go for state champion and get it, there is a banquet at the end of the year (very nice) with plagues for state champions and certificates for 2nd and 3rd (or lower) for each division! Hope I helped answer some of your questions.. here is the website to the AKC:

AKC Home

'The man who views the world at 50, the same as he did at 20, has wasted 30 years of his life.'- Muhammad Ali

Checkout my Profile at MMA Zone:
http://www.mymmazone.com/ladyfighter
ladyfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
souldrum71

Styles: Seishin Juku, Shotokan, TKD, Judo, Kyokushin, BJJ
Home Country:
souldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to all

Ditto what LF said. We tried out several different tournaments and another tournament circuit in Mississippi before deciding that the Alabama Karate Circuit had the best choice of competitions with the most competitors available in our area. I agree though that you should come check out one of the upcoming AKC tournaments and see what you think.

A bonus for you if you do decide to try out the AKC is that you won't be very far away from the tournaments. They are all held in north Alabama throughout the year.

souldrum71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Als92RSand78TA

White Belt

Home Country:

Thanks for the info. I found 1 video on youtube (labeled Alabama karate Circuit anyway). Do you happen to know of any more links to video from an AKC tournament?
Als92RSand78TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
souldrum71

Home Country:
souldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to allsouldrum71 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als92RSand78TA View Post
Thanks for the info. I found 1 video on youtube (labeled Alabama karate Circuit anyway). Do you happen to know of any more links to video from an AKC tournament?
Not really. The videos aren't going to show you what type of environment or the number of competitors any way. I'd suggest coming up to Hartselle this coming Saturday and checking out that tournament. If you ask around for Ronda or Jay Russell (that's me), I'd be happy to introduce you to some of the AKC directors, and they can give you all the indepth info you need.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Als92RSand78TA

White Belt

Home Country:

I'd like to but we've got lot's of things going on this weekend, mainly a soccer tournament (started tonight through Saturday). I believe the next one is in Jasper and at least me and 1 other black belt from our school may try and be in it. I may try and talk a third into it and check out how the team stuff works. I see there's a good bit of info on the AKC site. One question I don't remember seeing (it's probably there somewhere) is the gear. We use Macho but I thought I noticed in the video I saw for continous sparring that they were using heavier gloves?
Als92RSand78TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
souldrum71

Home Country:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als92RSand78TA View Post
I'd like to but we've got lot's of things going on this weekend, mainly a soccer tournament (started tonight through Saturday). I believe the next one is in Jasper and at least me and 1 other black belt from our school may try and be in it. I may try and talk a third into it and check out how the team stuff works. I see there's a good bit of info on the AKC site. One question I don't remember seeing (it's probably there somewhere) is the gear. We use Macho but I thought I noticed in the video I saw for continous sparring that they were using heavier gloves?
Macho gear would be fine for point sparring. Your Macho kicks and headgear would be okay for continuous fighting as well. We do use 12 ounce boxing gloves in continuous, but those are provided by the tournament directors if you don't bring any.

Keep me informed of if and when you'll be attending, and, like I said, I'll introduce you to the directors.

Sponsored Links